I attended a most wonderful workshop last week-end.
It was conducted by Joe Rodrigues at the Times of India Building. This workshop was organized by Media Moves along with the Women’s Movement for Peace and Prosperity. Yours Truly is heading its ‘Spiritual Uplift’ Desk.
I believe, that to be truly spiritual, one has to bring about a change in oneself first. The peace and love that will result, will touch everyone around us. And it will spread! Nature and God will do the rest!
But that change will happen, when one is inspired by words, knowledge and action. When Joe told me that his topic was going to be ‘Creating harmony with Assertive Communication’, I must confess that I was slightly perplexed! Is becoming Assertive, being Spiritual? But then how spiritual is being submissive? Remember what the Geeta teaches?
After I had a short talk with Joe, I was convinced that the only way to communicate effectively is the assertive way. You do not agree? Here are some of the gems that Joe gifted in the workshop!
- Walk softly, but carry a big stick. I am reminded here of a story I have heard. A snake after having heard the wise sayings of a saint decided to become submissive. Everyone who passed by threw stones and wounded the snake. When the snake told the saint of his dilemma, the saint enlightened him thus: ‘I told you not to bite, but I never advised you not to hiss!’
- You could calmly and firmly state: ‘I am angry…’ without losing your temper. In all probability it will have a better effect. But take care to NOT take a stand, that you will NOT be able to follow through!
- An assertive person is confident, firm, balanced, clear-headed, dignified…and never rude.
- He communicates his needs and feelings without abusing the other’s human rights.
- To know if your behavior is assertive or not ask yourself: “Did this behavior of mine increase my self-esteem?”
- A word of advice: Do not practice assertiveness immediately on your boss or spouse.
And lastly sing with me on the tune of ‘Frere Jacque’
VOICE BOTH FIRM AND PLEASANT
FACE RELAXED AND SMILING